St. Cloud, Sauk Center Area Saw Roof Hail Damage From August 28, 2021 Storm Including Baseball Size Hail & 70MPH Winds
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
A round of severe storms passed through St. Cloud, Minnesota on Saturday, August 28th, dropping large amounts of heavy rain and hail. To help local property owners, RestoreMasters has dispatched teams to the area to assist with tasks like water damage mitigation, emergency roof repairs, and hail damage inspections.
The entire storm system was significant, dropping hailstones as large as 2.5” in Sauk Rapids. Local news reports indicate baseball-sized chunks driven by 70 MPH winds near Foley. And customers were left in the dark for over twelve hours, with Meeker Co-Op and Light reporting to the local news station that almost every customer in the area had lost power.
Due to the significance of the straight line winds, RestoreMasters wants to remind commercial property owners to thoroughly check for damage. While this region of the state has been under drought conditions for the better part of the last year, the torrential rains received in August are enough to cause significant damage to roofing materials. Worst of all, the season isn’t over yet.
Looking at local hail reports, the worst of the hail fell just north of St. Cloud, with chunks measuring in the 1.75” to 2.5” in diameter range (dark orange). Additional communities experienced hail as large as 1.25” to 1.75” (orange) or smaller (yellow). The storm continued to cause serious damage as it exited to further parts of the state.
According to the National Weather Service, hail or damaging winds were reported in the Minnesota counties of:
- Morrison — 2” hail in Royalton. Downed trees and 1” chunks of hail in Upsala.
- Stearns — Ping pong sized hail in Sartell, with estimated 58 MPH winds. Numerous trees were down and urban flooding was present in the communities of Avon and Sauk Center.
- Benton — Massive hail measuring 2.5″ in diameter, that was later determined to weigh 2.64 ounces. Dented vehicles, broken windows, and siding damage to homes.
- Mille Lacs — Tornado warning issues at one point, but no confirmed funnel. Quarter sized hail and multiple uprooted trees due to strong wind gusts.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it’s important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don’t think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor