Commercial Roof Inspections in South Dakota & Iowa for Derecho Wind & Hail Damage Insurance Claims After Storm on July 5, 2022
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
The sky turned green as if an omen that one of the worst imaginable high wind and hailstone storms would ravage hundreds of miles of South Dakota and Iowa on Tuesday, July 5th. Green skies and hurricane-force winds are signatures of a “derecho” that has property owners across two states needing emergency roof repair. RestoreMasters has commercial roof inspection services and repair teams in South Dakota and Iowa to help.
“Hail roughly 4 inches in diameter was reported just north of Timber Lake in Dewey County. That’s about the size of a grapefruit. Grapefruit-sized fell near Timber Lake during Tuesday’s derecho,” the Aberdeen News reported in South Dakota. “A 91 mph wind gust was reported about 4 miles north of Agar in Sully County. The region largely saw wind gusts between 70 and 90 mph, with a handful of 80 mph wind gusts reported in Hand County.”
Iowa residents sustained similar damage, and commercial building owners are urged to request a complimentary roof inspection. A prompt commercial roof inspection helps fast-track insurance claims and fund a permanent solution after emergency roof repair efforts secure the building.
A local high wind and hailstorm damage map shows the massive derecho storm stretching from the Northwest corner of South Dakota to Davenport, Iowa. The enormous light and dark gray areas indicate high winds. The darker areas are where intense straight-line and hurricane-force gusts literally tore roofs off buildings.
The yellow, orange and purple swaths point to hailstone strikes, primarily in Northwest South Dakota. Yellow shows ice up to 1.25 inches making landfall. The orange spaces point to hailstones up to 1.75 inches in diameter pounding rooftops. But the purples concentrations are where hailstones the size of grapefruits shattered windshields, damaged roofing systems, and left building owners with leaking roofs.
Derecho and hail storm images and aftermath posted on social media:
An intense and powerful line of storms has been pushing through South Dakota today.— WeatherNation (@WeatherNation) July 5, 2022
Destructive winds have been the main concern as this storm moves to the southeast, but heavy rainfall is also a threat.
As this guy says, it looks like he's in a car wash.#SDwx #rain pic.twitter.com/hGAd1a4Vup
The National Weather Service hailstorm and wind damage map confirmed a cluster of extreme weather events across South Dakota and Iowa. Devastating storms also hit North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky, with isolated weather events scattered across the country. All told, 10 tornadoes, 38 hailstone strikes, and 335 high-wind incidents were reported on Tuesday, July 5th. Traditional and social media reports indicated that South Dakota and Iowa sustained the following property and storm roof damage.
- Agar: Potter County, South Dakota, was hit by winds of 91 mph.
- Cedar Rapids: Linn County, Iowa, saw winds reach 70 mph, as tree limbs broke and utility poles snapped.
- Davenport: Large trees were downed across Scott County, Iowa.
- Highmore: High winds shocked property owners when a roof was torn off a building in Hyde County, South Dakota.
- Howard: High winds hovered above 70 mph for more than 30 minutes in Miner County, South Dakota, as residents sought shelter. Wind gusts briefly reached 99 mph, and impacted property owners are urged to make emergency roof repair before water damage occurs.
- Iowa Falls: Powerlines were downed as 59 mph winds ripped through the area.
- Isabel: Corson County suffered extensive wind damage as outbuildings were impacted.
- Meadow: Hail the size of golf balls pelted automobiles and buildings for more than 20 minutes in areas of Perkins County, South Dakota.
- Miller: A large tree was uprooted by intense wind gusts in Hand County, South Dakota.
- Promise: Softball-sized hailstone impacts left a wake of roof damage across Dewey County.
- Reva: Harding County, South Dakota, saw ice chunks the size of golf balls dent metal roofs and crack shingles.
- Ridgeview: Dewey County, South Dakota, was pummeled by hailstone chunks as large as grapefruits, high winds, and 2.5 inches of rain that caused water damage.
- Royal: Widespread trees were grounded, according to eyewitness reports.
- Salem: Substantial wind roof damage was reported at the Salem Armory as gusts surpassed 60 mph in McCook County, South Dakota.
- Sioux Falls: High winds sent hail the size of quarters into gutters and siding in Lincoln County. Wind speeds reached 80 mph across the Minnehaha County city.
- Stephan: Areas of Hyde County, South Dakota, were struck by hailstones the size of golf balls.
- Timber Lake: Residents and businesses lost power for brief periods as high winds exceeded 80 mph, and hail the size of grapefruits inflicted heavy roof damage. One building had the skylights ripped away.
- Tipton: High winds downed powerlines across Cedar County, Iowa.
- Urbana: Trees at Wildcat Bluff State Park were toppled, according to officials at the scene.
- Wall Lake: This region of Minnehaha County suffered winds that hit 90 mph, according to boots on the ground reports.
- Wolsey: Trained spotters reported winds above 70 mph as street signs were leveled across Beadle County.
It’s crucial to enlist the support of a commercial roof inspection services provider that can make an emergency roof repair to prevent unnecessary leaks and water damage while the insurance claim processes. RestoreMasters responded to Decorah and Postville, Iowa, after a hailstorm struck on June 28, 2022.
Some roofing systems can be severely harmed by damage from heavy winds, tornadoes, or hail.
Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour.
The intensity of roof damage is determined by various factors: the velocity and impact of flying debris, the quality of the original installation, the building height and location in relation to other buildings, the angle and shape of the roof, and the material used on the roof.
Getting a roof inspection & property damage assessment after severe weather like this is important for determining whether you need to address roof damage from hail or high winds.
In situations where you've got a leaking roof, experienced disaster roofing contractors can stop the leaks temporarily, by laying tarp or by using a durable shrink-wrap plastic membrane in the affected areas, or even over the entire roof. This will keep your building protected until permanent repairs can take place. This will help prevent mold infestation from water leaks.
Even if you don't think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map.
Symptoms of storm damage problems do not always show up immediately.
And deadlines from insurance companies could hinder you from filing a claim later.
The types of clients that consistently rely on RestoreMasters to assist them with hail or wind damage to tile roofing includes: all commercial buildings, hospitals, schools, churches, condos, apartments, hotels, resorts, restaurants, dealerships, retail properties, historical homes & buildings, warehouses and industrial properties.
If your building has sustained harm from fallen trees, collapsed roof or any other damage related to hail, tornado or wind storms, call us today.
RestoreMasters is a disaster restoration contractor, providing storm damage restoration from hail, tornadoes, fire and flood, responding to emergencies in disaster situations, by aiding with repair of commercial and industrial roofing, tile roofs, providing temporary solutions to cover damaged roofs with tarp or shrink wrap.
We also provide clean up of storm debris, water damage cleanup, frozen pipe burst cleanup, restoration after water damage, mold remediation, tornado damage roofing & restoration, hurricane damage roofing & restoration, interior restoration and construction and much more. We also provide fire damage cleanup & restoration.
Contact RestoreMasters if you need help fixing storm damage.
Our team, comprised of large loss claims experts works directly with your insurance company to help get your business back into operation again as soon as possible.
A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
The RestoreMasters team of professionals includes: public adjusters, insurance claims experts, large loss attorneys, roofing and building engineers, interior restoration crews, and many more professionals specializing in insurance restoration for storm damage.
We do repair, replacement and restoration services on the following roofing systems: TPO roofing, metal roofing, tile roofing for hail damage, slate roofing, asphalt shingle roofing from hurricane damage, EPDM roofing, roof coatings, torch down roofing, BUR roofing, SBS-modified roofing repair, PVC roofing.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Removal
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor