Commercial Roof Inspections in Washington, IL To Document Hail & Wind Damage From August 20, 2022 Storm
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
An aggressive storm front ripped through Washington, IL, on Saturday, August 20th, as high winds and hail damaged roofs, shattered glass, and pockmarked siding. RestoreMasters dispatched commercial roof inspection teams from the roof repair office in Chicago to document the damage and help property owners fast-track insurance claims.
“The very large hail that fell in Washington shredded tree leaves, broke car windows and produced damage to roofs and siding. The debris then clogged area drains which then lead to flooding throughout the community with the heavy rain,” CI Proud reported. “There was a great deal of wind damage from Sunnyland to Washington along Washington Road. Numerous large tree branches were knocked down while small trees were blown over. The worst structural damage was done to the Jon Williams Tumbling Academy, which had large windows blown in and some damage to the roof.”
The region saw tornado activity and more than five inches of rain is expected to cause water damage to commercial, agricultural and institutional buildings. Emergency roof repair crews are responding to Tazewell and other impacted counties to tarp and shrink wrap roofs to prevent further losses. Property owners are urged to request a complimentary roof inspection.
A local hailstorm damage map shows a dense storm formation from the eastern shore of Peoria Lake along Route 24 to Dee-Mac Road. The yellow section points to hailstones up to 1.25 inches. The light orange areas on the map show ice as large as 1.75 inches that struck businesses along Route 24. But the dark orange swath indicates hailstone up to 3 inches in diameter battered rooftops, broke windows, and inflicted among the worst property damage.
Local social media posts show storm clouds and huge hail stones:
A National Weather Service high wind, tornado, and hail damage map shows storm clusters over Central Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, and West Virginia, with isolated fronts scattered across the country. All told, five tornados, 75 high wind incidents, and 24 hailstorms were recorded for Saturday, August 20th. Traditional news and social media reports highlighted the extreme hail and wind damage in Central Illinois that required commercial roof inspection services and emergency repair.
- Chillicothe: Quarter-sized hail peppered roofs and automobiles, denting shingles and panels.
- East Peoria: Hail the size of ping pong balls and high winds shattered windowpanes and commercial buildings saw metal roof panels badly damaged.
- Lacon: Areas of Marshall County were pelted by hail the size of ping pong balls.
- Peoria Heights: Trees limbs upwards of a foot thick were snapped, resulting in roof and siding damage.
- Sparland: Golf ball-sized hail struck roofs and automobiles during the mid-afternoon.
- Washington: Businesses along Route 24 suffered significant hail roof damage as ice larger than baseballs cracked roofing systems, dented metal panels, smashed windows, and ruined siding. Wind speeds topped 60 mph as shingles were torn off, and large trees snapped, landing on rooftops.
Flash flooding warnings were in effect as two-day rain totals for Washington exceeded 5 inches. Emergency roof repair efforts are vital to protect rafters, structural supports, and a business's contents from water damage. Securing a commercial roof inspection and estimate helps expedite the insurance claim process.
RestoreMasters sent commercial roof contractors to help property owners in Olney, IL, after hail and high winds left a wake of damage on August 1, 2022.
Severe storms, bringing hail, strong winds, or tornadoes can cause severe roof damage, by ripping off roofing systems. Winds as low as 50 mph can cause some older roofs to be damaged. The intensity of roof damage is determined by various factors: the velocity and impact of flying debris, the quality of the original installation, the building height and location in relation to other buildings, the angle and shape of the roof, and the material used on the roof.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Mitigation
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor