Commercial Roof Repair Needed After Isolated Hailstorm Blasts Belle Chassé, Southeast New Orleans On Sunday, May 15, 2022
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
A highly centralized hailstorm targeted Belle Chasse and Southeast New Orleans, LA, Sunday, May 15th, leaving property owners in dire need of roof damage repairs.
A dozen instances of hail making landfall in the Belle Chasse, LA, area have occurred during the last year, and Southeast New Orleans endure 27 severe weather events, according to hail tracking reports. RestoreMasters alerted commercial roof repair crews to closely monitor the situation and implement emergency roof leak repair strategies to prevent further property damage losses.
“Sunday in Belle Chasse, a strong storm brought hail reportedly somewhere between marble-size and golf ball size. Viewers sent in photos and videos of the storm that formed around 4 p.m. Sunday. Some severe thunderstorm warnings were issued,” CBS affiliate WWL-TV reported.
Meteorologist Alexandra Cranford also said, “The storm brought heavy rain, high wind gusts, and hail to the area.”
Residents of Belle Chasse and abutting neighborhoods posted photos of ice balls alongside rulers, and some compared them to items such as half-dollars. The hail proved larger than the coins, and others measured upwards of two inches. The local news and weather outlet also posted an interactive video showing an abrupt hailstorm emerging to the Southeast of New Orleans, dropping ice on Belle Chasse and dissipating as it moved to the northwest.
A fixed local hail damage map shows a large hail front hovering above Belle Chasse and swelling as far south as Wills Point. The large yellow sections indicate hailstones 1.25 inches in diameter striking automobiles and rooftops. Light orange areas indicate ice as large as 1.75 inches pelting neighborhoods and businesses. But the dark orange over Stella, the Promised Land, and Scarsdale sections show hail the size of tennis balls inflicting roof storm damage.
Hailstorm videos and images posted to social media, by citizens and news centers:
The National Weather Service tornado, high wind, and hailstorm damage map shows massive storm clusters over Arkansas, East Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Mississippi, and Missouri on May 15, 2022. Isolated severe weather can be seen scattered across the county, with a singular hailstorm concentrated in Southeast New Orleans. The national reporting service accounted for two tornados, 188 high wind incidents, and 151 hailstorms, with the following Southeastern Louisiana areas needing emergency roof repair.
- Belle Chasse: Hailstones pummeled Plaquemines Parish for more than 12 minutes, with ice as large as hen eggs striking near the Braithwaite Ferry on the east side of the Mississippi River.
- Harvey: Ice the size of quarters hit along the Stonebridge Country Club.
- Stella: Hailstones as large as limes struck after 4:30 pm.
- Wills Point: Ping pong ball-sized ice stones pelted buildings.
- Woodlawn: Hail the size of golf balls blanketed the area.
May typically brings the heaviest rains to Louisiana, and property owners are urged to schedule roof inspections to prevent water penetrations through hail-damaged cracks. Moisture can weaken structural supports and spur hazardous mold growths if left unchecked. RestoreMasters recently sent roofing & restoration contractor support to Canyon, Texas, after commercial building owners suffered hail and wind damage on May 10, 2022.
Some roofing systems can be severely harmed by damage from heavy winds, tornadoes, or hail. Winds as low as 50 mph can cause some older roofs to be damaged. The intensity of roof damage is determined by various factors: the velocity and impact of flying debris, the quality of the original installation, the building height and location in relation to other buildings, the angle and shape of the roof, and the material used on the roof.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Mitigation
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor