Commercial Roofing Contractor Responds to Roof Hail Damage in West Des Moines & Clive, Iowa After August 19, 2022 Storm Pounds Region
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
A fast-moving hailstorm ripped through West Des Moines and Clive, Iowa, Friday, August 19th, smashing car windshields and inflicting heavy roof damage across the area. Commercial building owners require emergency roof repair to prevent water damage and further losses. RestoreMasters field crews are responding from the roof repair offices in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
“I have never seen this before in my life,” an Iowa resident reportedly told Fox Weather. “All the lights are busted out, and our shades are about to fall. And it just keeps coming.”
Valley High School in West Des Moines reportedly suffered hail roof damage to the gymnasium as gaping holes allowed water to pour through, flooding the facility. Outside, teachers and students watched as massive hailstones smashed car windshields, leaving many stranded.
Commercial, agricultural, and institutional building owners and managers are urged to request a complimentary roof inspection. A storm of this magnitude leaves a wake of hail damage to roofing systems ranging from small cracks to broken shingles and panels. A commercial roof inspection expert can pinpoint troubled areas and prevent a leaking roof from causing interior water damage.
A local hail damage map shows a thick storm concentration stretching from Jordan Creek Town Center to MercyOne Children’s Hospital. The yellow areas highlight hailstones up to 1.25 inches in diameter cracking glass and roofing shingles. The orange portions indicate ice chucks up to 1.75 inches, with the darker section pointing to hail of 2.5 inches. But the purple where I-80, I-35, and I-235 converge indicates massive hailstones upwards of 3 inches in diameter pummeling rooftops.
Intense hail storm inspires multiple posts to social media by local residents and storm chasers:
The National Weather Service high wind and hailstorm damage map for Friday, August 19th, shows isolated storm fronts across Eastern Nebraska, West Virginia, Georgia, and Iowa. All told, eight high wind incidents and 19 hailstorms were reported for the day. Traditional news and social media reports pointed to heavy property and roof damage across Polk County and especially in the Des Moines and Clive region.
- Clive: Neighborhoods and business districts sustained substantial roof damage as golf ball-sized hail baseball-sized hail destroyed property. The West Valley Mall took heavy ice fall and wind gusts during the afternoon.
- Des Moines: The metro area was pelted by hail ice the size of quarters that dented siding, gutters, and roof shingles.
- West Des Moines: Hail the size of hen eggs and ping pong-sized hail repeated pounded the Polk County community. The hailstorm was accompanied by destructive wind gusts that reached 60 mph, flinging debris and hail into structures.
Polk and neighboring counties were expected to see heavy rainfall following the hailstorm that could exacerbate leaking roofs and usher in water damage and hazardous mold growths. It’s essential to utilize commercial roof inspection services and emergency repairs to prevent unnecessary losses.
RestoreMasters dispatched commercial roof inspection and emergency repair crews to Chicago, IL, to help secure buildings and fast-tract the insurance claim process after hail, high winds, and tornados devastated the area on July 22, 2022.
Some roofing systems can be severely harmed by damage from heavy winds, tornadoes, or hail. Some older roofs can sustain damage from only 50 mph winds. The intensity of roof damage is determined by various factors: the velocity and impact of flying debris, the quality of the original installation, the building height and location in relation to other buildings, the angle and shape of the roof, and the material used on the roof.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Mitigation
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor