Dangerous Hail Storm Causes Roof Damage in Atlanta on April 24, 2021
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
An extremely damaging storm event happened in the Atlanta, Georgia area on Saturday, April 24th, causing hundreds of uprooted trees and even hail damage to the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. RestoreMasters has teams on the ground in the area to assist property owners with damage inspections, emergency roof repairs, and other similar services. Issues from both wind and hail are widely reported.
The wind was the biggest factor during this storm system, which caused extreme amounts of damage throughout the entire region. Residents were forced to scramble for cover from the severe weather, which caused numerous highway wrecks and even postponed an Atlanta Braves game.
While the size of the hail itself was relatively small, the combination of high winds and torrential rains created a situation where damage to buildings is expected. According to the hail map, the largest chunks were around 1” to 1.25” in diameter (yellow). The Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport also reported damage when large hail chunks dented the air conditioning units on the roof of the building.
Cleanup from this weather event is expected to be significant. Hail as small as an inch in diameter can cause significant damage to roofing materials, which is why all commercial building owners need to be prepared to check for issues. RestoreMasters expects to remain in the area for at least the next few weeks until our customers have received full repairs.
According to the National Weather Service, large hail and high winds were reported in the counties of:
- Dekalb – Hail measuring around 1” in diameter near the communities of Pathersville, Gresham Park, and Stone Mountain.
- Troup – Ping-pong sized hail was reported in West Point. Multiple trees down and blocking roadways in Hogansville, Lagrange, and Long Cane.
- Gwinnett – Quarter sized hailstones falling in Snellville. There are numerous reports of uprooted trees and broken branches in Centerville and Rosebud.
- Meriwether – Hail chunks measuring around 1” on St. Marks Road.
- Forsyth – Significant hail measuring between quarter and half dollar size near Drew, Coal Mountain, Silver City, and Holbrook.
- Carroll – Emergency management team reporting quarter-size hail in areas throughout the county, plus fallen trees on a home near Tyus.
- Clayton – Wind gusts of up to 76 MPS and large hail chunks produced dents to the air conditioning units on the roof of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Multiple reports from the public of snapped tree trunks and branches. Dozens of downed power lines.
- Paulding – Many reports of downed trees and powerlines in the areas of Dallas, Draketown, Union, Yorkville, and New Georgia.
- Coweta – Tree and powerline damage near Thomas Crossroads.
- Rockdale – Additional downed trees near Richardson Park and Conyers.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it's important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don't think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor