Emergency Roof Repair Needed as Lovington, NM & Denver City, TX, Suffer Damage From Baseball-Sized Hail Strikes on Sunday, May 1, 2022
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Tornado and large hailstorm warnings for New Mexico-Texas border towns were issued Sunday, May 1st, and Lovington and Denver City sustained roof storm damage. RestoreMasters dispatched commercial roof repair crews as the fast-moving storms passed, and property owners raised concerns about immediate roof leak repair needs.
News outlets such as local NBC affiliate KCBD 11 alerted residents that a “severe thunderstorm watch” was in effect until 11 pm across the South Plains, and all indications pointed to an isolated tornado touching down, and near-certainty large hailstones would pound New Mexico cities and towns including Hobbs, Seminole, Lamesa, Gail, and Snyder, among others. Gusts were expected to reach 60-70 mph, and widespread roof wind damage was anticipated. Meteorologists may have underappreciated the volatility of at least four hailstorm fronts.
A local hailstorm damage map shows four powerful hailstorms inflicting heavy damage as they cross the border around Lovington, NM, and Denver City, Texas. The yellow colorations on the hail property damage map indicate ice as large as 1.25 inches pelting eastern Lovington, NM, as well as Wellman and Snyder, Texas. The orange swaths show hail up to 2.5 inches striking communities such as Denver City and Hermleigh, Texas. But the dark purple marks at the center of three of the four hailstorm events point to hail as large as baseballs smashing rooftops.
Images and videos of storm clouds, hail, and tornado activity fill local social media:
A National Weather Service tornado, high wind, and hail damage map show a major storm cluster across eastern New Mexico and West Texas, with scattered severe weather events in Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, and a smaller group of East Coast storms centered in North Carolina. All told, the national reporting center confirmed four tornados, 60 high wind incidents, and 138 hail sightings on Sunday, May 1st. The damage inflicted on the following cities and towns call for emergency roofing specialists to make repairs before heavy rains push water through cracks in affected roofs.
- Ackerly: Golf ball-sized hail blanketed the area just after 7 pm on Sunday, May 1st.
- Denver City: Widespread hail damage to roofing systems occurred as three separate ice stone incidents pummeled properties. Hail ranging from the size of a hen egg to baseballs will likely require immediate roof leak damage repairs.
- Hermleigh: An EF-2 level tornado reportedly touched down in Scurry County near County Roads 4111 and 4116, snapping trees, and utility poles, causing roof wind damage.
- Hobbs: The Lea County, New Mexico, community saw ice the size of ping pong ball crack roof shingles and damaged automobiles.
- Lovington: The Lea County Seat sustained three consecutive icefalls between 4:16 and 4:52 pm. The least impactful hits were from quarter-sized hail to the east. The worst roof hail damage focused on the center of town, with ice the size of baseballs striking Main Street.
- Seagraves: Gaines County property owners experienced strikes from ice the size of ping pong balls.
- Tarzan: Martin County property owners suffered losses as hail as large as tennis balls hammered rooftops.
Severe weather such as hailstorms and high wind events peak during late spring and persist through the hot summer months in areas of New Mexico and Texas. Wind and hail roof damage cause cracks and tears that allow water to infiltrate commercial buildings. Moisture and warm conditions allow hazardous mold growths to flourish and endanger everyday people. RestoreMasters recently responded to similar wind and hailstorm damage across Central Arkansas on Saturday, April 23, 2022.
Strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage.
Winds as low as 50 mph can cause some older roofs to be damaged.
Several factors will determine the severity of roof damage: the height of the building and proximity to nearby structures, the quality of work by the original installers, the shape and angle of the roof, the age and type of roofing materials, and the impact from debris.
Getting a roof inspection & property damage assessment after severe weather like this is important for determining whether you need to address roof damage from hail or high winds.
In situations where you've got a leaking roof, experienced disaster roofing contractors can stop the leaks temporarily, by laying tarp or by using a durable shrink-wrap plastic membrane in the affected areas, or even over the entire roof. This will keep your building protected until permanent repairs can take place. This will help prevent mold infestation from water leaks.
If your property was anywhere within the storm damage map, it would be best to get your roof inspected, even if you think your roof was not damaged.
Some storm damage symptoms take time to appear.
And insurance companies sometimes enforce deadlines for claims, so you need to get your claim filed quickly.
We provide services to clients of all types, with hail or wind damage to tile roofing, such as: hospitals, medical facilities, churches, schools, colleges & universities, museums, condos, hotels, warehouses, resorts, retail properties, historical properties, industrial properties, and residential properties.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof, or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
We are RestoreMasters, a restoration contractor specializing in wind & hail damage roofing, providing storm damage restoration services including: disaster response, commercial and industrial roofing, tile roof repair, emergency roof repair with tarp or shrink wrap, debris cleanup, water removal, pipe burst cleanup, water damage restoration, tornado damage roofing & restoration.
In addition to that, we respond to disaster situations with: hurricane damage roofing & restoration, mold remediation, interior restoration and construction, windows & doors, and other services to rebuild your property. We also provide fire damage restoration.
If you need help recovering from storm damage, contact RestoreMasters.
Our team of large loss insurance claim experts works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back to pre-storm condition.
We are a turnkey restoration contractor providing help with all phases of restoration from emergency cleanup services to complete build back of your property.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
We provide repair, replacement and restoration services due to tornado damage and hurricane damage for the following roofing systems: TPO roofing, metal roofing, tile roofing, slate roofing, asphalt shingle roofing, EPDM roofing, roof coatings, torch down roofing, BUR roofing, SBS-modified roofing, PVC roofing.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Removal
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor