Emergency Roof Repairs In progress After A Tornado and Hail Strike Waynesboro, Virginia on April 26, 2022
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Tuesday afternoon, April 26, 2022 found Waynesboro Virginia children waiting to be allowed to go home from school, while a tornado and hail ripped through the area, tearing down trees, ripping roofs off of buildings, breaking roof tiles, and creating chaos. The sky became dark and ominous about 1:15 pm, then the rain, hail and heavy winds blew in. William Ramsey, The News Leader’s Executive Editor, who lives in Waynesboro was driving in the area. He said “It was the heaviest daytime rain I’ve ever seen in Waynesboro in years”. In the midst of 15 minutes of a heavy downpour and 10 minutes of pea-sized hail, a tornado tore a track from Fishersville and dissipated near Wayneridge Road in Waynesboro. RestoreMasters dispatched crews to the area in order to assist with the many details relating to clean up, emergency repairs, insurance claims, and restoration.
The tornado left destruction in its wake, breaking and snapping trees and branches, hardwood and softwood alike. A farm on Tinkling Spring Road sustained the most damage in that area, roof and structural damage was caused to the barn, and the farmhouse lost its metal roof, which was found wrapped around the branches of a tree. The lumber from the barn was thrown approximately 125 yards into the air and embedded into the ground in many different directions. Dumpsters were flipped and an office complex sustained structural damage. The tornado’s finale was to cause a large tree to fall onto a home, leaving behind considerable damage before it dissipated.
An area map of Waynesboro, Virginia and neighboring communities, indicates a large swath of hail over 1” (yellow) with some communities getting pelted with hail close to 2” (orange). Heavy wind (gray) propelled hailstones against homes and roofing systems, causing considerable damage to sidings and roofs. RestoreMasters is providing post-storm assessment, insurance assistance, emergency clean-up and temporary repairs, as home and business owners deal with the shock, since Waynesboro, Virginia is not used to tornado activity. They will continue working in the area, to ensure the citizens receive all the help they need to get back to pre-storm conditions.
High winds, a tornado and hailstones cause damage throughout the Waynesboro, VA area, citizens and news centers fill social media with images and videos.
#Hail from a severe thunderstorm covering the ground, looking like snow in the Waynesboro area around 1:30 PM today! Hail up to the size of quarters. Numerous power outages reported from downed trees and power lines. 📸Jenn Cooper @NWS_BaltWash #NBC29 #SevereWeather pic.twitter.com/3YNpH7IhJp— Josh Fitzpatrick (@JoshFitzWx) April 26, 2022
I just posted "scary Tornado, strong winds and heavy rain with hail storm causing damages in waynesboro, virginia #hail #Tornado#Virginia #VAwx #SevereWeather nartural disaster 4 26 2022 tornado touchdown in waynesb..." on Reddithttps://t.co/kfDyoB8GM1— natural disaster (@natural79939854) April 27, 2022
The National Weather Service storm map indicates tornado, wind, and hail damage throughout Augusta County and surrounding communities:
- Waynesboro: Multiple trees down, branches down, trees uprooted and snapped, shingles blown off homes, piping blown off a warehouse that is under construction and blown almost a half a mile away, a roof partially displaced from a building on Expo Road, a steeple blown off the church on Lowery Lane, utility wires downed on Rosser Ave. and Pine Ave.
- Ivy: Multiple trees and large limbs down.
- New Canton: A Porta-John blown over.
- Portlock: Trees uprooted or snapped and a roof blown off.
- Greenbrier: One-inch tree limbs broken and shingles blown off roofs.
- Hunterdale: Wind tore branches off trees and blew debris out of trash bins.
- Franklin: Three-inch tree limbs and power poles broken.
- Suffolk: Multiple large trees down, a tree blown through a house on Burnetts Way.
- Cartersville: Barns flattened, roofs damaged, windows blown into homes.
- Columbia: Trees down.
- Bremo Bluff: Trees down on powerlines.
- Pemberton: Multiple trees down and damage to homes.
- George’s Tavern: Many trees down, some on homes.
- Jarratt: Tractor shed was damaged and roof lifted off.
- Benns Church: Trees down blocking Route 10 to Smithfield.
- Chickahominy Shore: Trees down.
- Worshams: Multiple trees down.
During storms like these, everyone is urged to be very careful of downed wires, especially when pooled water and puddles are in the area. Property owners and managers are also urged to be very careful of inspecting damaged buildings due to unseen structural compromises. This is why experts from RestoreMasters are dispatched to post-storm areas, as they can provide the necessary guidance to those who have little or no knowledge of what to look for in disaster-type situations.
Severe storms, bringing hail, strong winds, or tornadoes can cause severe roof damage, by ripping off roofing systems. Older roofs are susceptible to severe wind damage, by winds as low as 50 mph. Several factors will determine the severity of roof damage: the height of the building and proximity to nearby structures, the quality of work by the original installers, the shape and angle of the roof, the age and type of roofing materials, and the impact from debris.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Mitigation
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor