Emergency Roofers Arrive After Severe Damage Caused By Hail And High Winds In Concordia, Kansas, On April 29, 2022
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Friday afternoon and evening were chaotic for many residents in the central east area of Kansas. Heavy hail, high winds hit the Concordia area, with tornadoes close by. This outbreak was related to the Andover-Wichita storm that developed a havoc-creating tornado in communities south of Concordia. Rain, hail and winds pummeled the area. Hail ranged from pea size up to 2 inches in some areas. High winds snapped tree branches and stripped shingles off roofs. A house in Wabaunsee county was completely decimated, experts suspect tornadic activity, since tornadoes were spotted in the area. Power lines were snapped, and many citizens were without electricity until repairs could be made and electricity restored. RestoreMasters arrived to assist with emergency roof repair, providing shrink wrap or tarps to prevent water damage to home and commercial structures. They will continue on, working in the community to do assessments for insurance claims, assisting with reporting to insurance companies, as well as providing expert repair and restoration of damaged buildings and roofs.
A map of Concordia and the surrounding area indicates a portion of a much more widespread storm system. This portion of the storm pelted Concordia up to Calderhead with hail ranging up to 1.25” (yellow). But communities in and around Concordia got the largest hail from 1.25” (light orange) up to 2.5” (dark orange). Hail this size, propelled by high winds, can cause significant damage to roofs, gutter systems, and sidings, and cause not only cosmetic damage but structural damage, allowing water to seep in which can encourage mold growth and rot in attics, ceilings, and walls.
Many sightings of tornadic activity in the surrounding areas were posted on social media by trackers, citizens and news centers:
Gm!— Hunter Fowkes (@StrmchsrHunterF) April 30, 2022
Yesterdays Supercell near Herington, KS was one of the most beautiful supercells Ive seen in some time. So many lightning bolts as well as mothership-like structure after producing a tornado. What an incredible storm! Lost a tire trying to follow this one. Incredible! #kswx pic.twitter.com/wTQdCD66Mn
A couple of quick edits from the tornadic supercell near Herington, KS. LCL's just a tad too high. This storm was close to dropping a gorgeous tornado. Currently dropping south to check out storm east side of Wichita, then back to Tulsa for squall line after midnight.#kswx pic.twitter.com/g8nngC1M5R— Greg McLaughlin (@GregMc_wx) April 30, 2022
The National Weather Service storm reports for April 29, 2022, provide insight into the range of damage and extent of the storm in this area:
- Enterprise: Funnel cloud reported in Dickinson County.
- Chapman: Ping Pong ball-sized hail in Dickinson County.
- Abilene: Tornado spotted north of Carlton and quarter to half dollar-sized hail on the western side of Abilene city limits in Dickinson County.
- Herington: Two houses damaged, suspected tornado in Dickinson County.
- Troy: Tree limbs down, in Doniphan County.
- Lawrence: Three-inch diameter tree limbs snapped, wind speeds estimated at 60 mph, and power lines down in Douglas County.
- Mayetta: Utility poles snapped in half, tornado spotted on the ground in Jackson County.
- Beloit: Large live tree down in Mitchell County.
- Tipton: Dust storms were spotted when wind came through in Osborne County.
- Auburn: A large tree (several feet in diameter) was knocked over and crushed a car in Shawnee County.
- Eskridge: A house was destroyed, power poles damaged, suspected tornado in Wabaunsee County.
- Wamego: Power poles knocked down in Wabaunsee County
- Washington: Brief tornado touch down, just outside of town, three-inch tree limbs and utility poles broken in Washington County.
- Westwood Hills: Large tree down on a home in Wyandotte County.
RestoreMasters will be remaining in the area until everyone is back to pre-storm condition. With so much damage, and many buildings needing repairs, the owners may need a lot of help in communicating with insurance companies. RestoreMasters has experts who handle these details, so that home and business owners can get the best help. RestoreMasters also provides quality and expert reconstruction and repair services.
Tornadoes, hail, and even strong winds can cause severe wind damage to roofing systems.
Older roofs are susceptible to severe wind damage, by winds as low as 50 mph.
Roof damage can be severe or mild, depending on various factors which include: materials used on the roof, impact of debris, building height and proximity to other buildings, age, angle and shape of the roof and type of roofing.
It's important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment following severe weather like this so that you can determine whether you have roof damage from hail or high winds.
If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) are covered with a durable shrink-wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place. That way you can prevent mold growth from water intrusion.
Rather than believing your roof is not damaged, if your property is anywhere in the area of the storm damage map, then you will want to get your roof inspected.
Symptoms of storm damage problems do not always show up immediately.
And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Call us today, if your building or roofing system has seen damage from fallen trees or collapsed roof or any other damage from hail, tornadoes or wind storms.
RestoreMasters is a disaster restoration contractor, providing storm damage restoration from hail, tornadoes, fire and flood, responding to emergencies in disaster situations, by aiding with repair of commercial and industrial roofing, tile roofs, providing temporary solutions to cover damaged roofs with tarp or shrink wrap.
We also provide clean up of storm debris, water damage cleanup, frozen pipe burst cleanup, restoration after water damage, mold remediation, tornado damage roofing & restoration, hurricane damage roofing & restoration, interior restoration and construction and much more. We also provide fire damage cleanup & restoration.
If you need help recovering from storm damage, contact RestoreMasters.
Our team, comprised of large loss claims experts works directly with your insurance company to help get your business back into operation again as soon as possible.
As a turnkey restoration contractor, we step in at the beginning with emergency response services and will stay with you throughout the entire process till your property is built back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
We provide repair, replacement and restoration services due to tornado damage and hurricane damage for the following roofing systems: TPO roofing, metal roofing, tile roofing, slate roofing, asphalt shingle roofing, EPDM roofing, roof coatings, torch down roofing, BUR roofing, SBS-modified roofing, PVC roofing.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Removal
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor