Hail Storm on May 10, 2021 Causes Roof Damage in DFW, Sherman & Parts of North Texas
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Strong storms swept through the Dallas-Fort Worth and Sherman areas on Monday, May 10th, dropping big hail over several Texas communities. RestoreMasters has been in the field in Dallas and North Texas since the first round of storms rolled through earlier this year. Our teams are positioned with equipment and resources to help property owners quickly with emergency roof repairs and property damage assessments.
The largest hail fell in an area stretching from Sherman and Whitewright in Grayson county Texas, up to Hugo in Oklahoma, affecting the towns of Bonham, Ivanhoe, and Telephone. Individual reports of hail up to 2.75” in diameter came from just south of Boswell. Extensive wind damage was also reported across several states, with gusts of up to 70mhp recorded in Hondo, Texas.
Local storm maps show that the largest hail was concentrated in two areas – right along the Texas-Oklahoma border over Ivanhoe and Telephone, and an area just west of Denton. These areas recorded hailstones of 2” and up to 4” (purple). Hail of 1” or larger (yellow) fell in several more communities, almost forming a circle around the Dallas-Fort Worth area. It only takes hail 1” or larger to damage roof shingles, so the RestoreMasters teams are expecting to be assisting many property owners in the state over the next several weeks.
Hail as small as 1” is large enough to damage asphalt shingles, so we expect to see significant damage with hail this size. Few property owners inspect their roofs on a regular basis, and hail damage can be especially hard to detect on roofing materials like metal, TPO, EPDM or even shingles.
The National Weather Service also reported that hail from this round of storms also affected several other Texas counties, including:
- Hunt – 1.25” hailstones reported in Wolfe City
- Franklin – Several reports from Winnsboro and Mount Vernon of half-dollar hailstones
- Camp – Hail reports from Pittsburg, size not specified
- Titus – Half-dollar size hail reported in Mount Pleasant
- Morris – Daingerfield saw ping-pong ball sized hail as well as 1.24” of rain in less than an hour.
- Cass – Several reports from communities all over the county of up to golf ball sized hailstones
- Kimble – Multiple reports from Cleo of golf ball and baseball sized hail, broken windows, property damage
- Parker – Reports from Weatherford, Hudson Oaks, Willow Park, and Aledo of hailstones up to golf ball size.
- McCullough – Hail between half-dollar and ping pong ball size reported in Lohn and Brady
- Denton – Hailstones measured at 2.75” and up to 4” in Ponder. In rare cases where hail 4+ inches is produced and combined with high winds, hailstones can fall at speeds exceeding 100mph.
- Brown – Hail up to golf ball size reported along US-377
- Fannin – 2” hail sighted near Bonham
- Sutton – Hailstones measured at least 2.14” in Sonora
- Tarrant – quarter sized hail in Mansfield and Everman communities
- Collin – Reports of quarter to half dollar sized hail from Lavon and Balch Springs
In addition to hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it’s important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don’t think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor