Hail Storm on May 26, 2021 Causes Roof Damage in Hays, McPherson & Parts of West Central Kansas
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Highly damaging storms passed through Hays and McPherson, Kansas on Wednesday, May 26th, demolishing property with large hail and even spawning several tornadoes. To help with the cleanup efforts, RestoreMasters has dispatched teams to provide property owners with assistance. These services include damage inspections, emergency repairs to roofing materials, and more.
This beast of a storm created a wide path across the state, leaving a trail of destruction. Golf ball sized hail broke car windshields and damaged buildings, while smaller tornadoes caused a wake of debris. Massive hail as large as 4” in diameter was spotted in Ellis County, where sheds were tossed hundreds of feet away by high winds.
The size and magnitude of this storm makes it one of the larger ones the area has seen this season. RestoreMasters is encouraging all commercial property owners to thoroughly inspect buildings for damage from hail, debris, and high winds.
Based on local weather maps, the two areas that received the largest chunks of hail were McPherson and Hays. In these locations, hailstones were over 2.5” in diameter (purple). Other areas saw large hail in excess of 1.75” to 2.5” (dark orange) and 1.5” to 1.75” (orange).
Due to the significant nature of the damage from this storm, RestoreMasters plans to stay within the area for a considerable amount of time as we help our customers return to normal. The heavy winds, flooding, and hail are all major concerns as we work through the process.
According to the National Weather Service, hail or damaging winds were reported in the Kansas Counties of:
- McPherson – Quarter to golf ball sized hail at various locations including McPherson High School. 60 MPH wind gusts.
- Ellis – Multiple tornado spotters reporting funnels on the ground near Pfeifer, Munjor, and Schoenchen. Hen egg sized hail approximately 2” in diameter, with some chunks up to 4”.
- Barton – Brief tornado touchdown for less than a minute near Claflin.
- Ellsworth – 1.5” hail, 1.3” of rain, and 40 MPH winds in Kanopolis State Park. Semi-truck blown over on Highway 156.
- Saline – 60 MPH winds, downed power lines, and uprooted trees.
- Marion – Downed trees across roads.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it’s important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don’t think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor