Hail Storm on May 5, 2021 Causes Roof Damage in Sioux Falls, SD
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Strong storms swept through Sioux Falls, South Dakota on Friday, August 6th. RestoreMasters is currently working with local property owners to assist with emergency roof repairs, hail damage inspections, and other related processes. Due to the nature of this storm, significant wind and hail damage are reported.
While wind was a bigger factor, some areas experienced highly damaging bouts of hail. The largest hailstones reported include those up to 3.5” in diameter near Sioux Falls. Additional golf ball and ping-pong size chunks were also common.
The storm is said to have started in southwest Minnesota during the afternoon, carrying into southeast South Dakota into the evening hours, and finally ending up in northwest Iowa overnight. The vast majority of damage within the Sioux Falls region happened in Minnehaha, where large hailstones and nearly 70 MPH winds knocked down trees, damaged roofs, and caused other significant issues. Even the Sioux Empire Fair had to shut down for the evening, cancelling an opening night concert and sending the crowd scrambling for safety.
Local hail maps show several bands of 1" and larger hail (yellow) falling in areas north of Humbolt and Hartford, extending north of Sioux Falls past Dell Rapids and east over Brandon. Areas closest to Sioux Falls saw the largest clusters of hail with many reports of 2.5" and larger (purple).
For perspective, it only takes hail that is an inch or larger to damage roofing materials and shingles, which is why our RestoreMasters teams are expected to be in the local area offering assistance for an extended period of time. Furthermore, we are also assisting numerous property owners with additional damage from the storm, such as falling trees, branches, and wind gusts.
According to the National Weather Service, hail and wind from this round of storms caused damage in nearby areas including the counties of:
- Minnehaha – Strong winds uprooted several eight-year-old-pine trees. Multiple large tree branches down at the Mary Jo Wegner Arboretum, some as big as a foot in diameter. Ping-pong size hail reported in Renner, Baltic, and Dell Rapids by local residents via social media. Hail ranging around 1.5” in Brandon, with reports of stones 2.5” or larger in Crooks and 2” in Rowena. The largest hail measured 3.5” north of Sioux Falls.
- Turner – Damage to homes and several large trees uprooted by the associated strong winds in Davis.
- Lincoln – Wind gusts of up to 70 MPH near Canton.
- Moody – Hailstones measuring up to 1.5” or larger near Colman.
- Brookings – Reports from storm spotters and social media of hail at least 1” in diameter near Elkton.
- Fall River – Highly damaging wind gusts of up to 60 MPH.
- Charles Mix – Hailstones up to 1” or larger in Edgerton.
- Lake – Falling hail in upwards of 1.75” near Wentworth.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it's important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don't think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor