Hail Storm Pummels Denver, CO Area August 19, 2021 Causing Roof Damage
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Strong storms passed through Denver, Colorado on Thursday, August 19th, pummeling parts of the region with moderate to large hail. To assist with cleanup efforts, RestoreMasters has teams on the ground in the area focusing on emergency roof repairs, water damage mitigation efforts, and hail damage inspections.
The weather event hit at a time in the mid-afternoon when many people were at work or driving around town. In the Westminster area, hail fell at a dangerous pace, causing tons of damage to roofs and cars along the way. Hen egg-sized hail was even reported in Golden, around twelve miles outside of Denver.
Hail of this size and velocity can absolutely decimate roofing materials. RestoreMasters is encouraging all commercial building owners to carefully check for damage related to this incident. Furthermore, they encourage a professional inspection before the next storm to ensure there are no leaks that could lead to flooding or mold damage inside the structure.
Reviewing local hail maps, the most concentrated area for hail was between Westminster and Broomfield. Hail sizes in these areas ranged from 1.75” to 2.5” (dark orange) to as small as 1” to 1.25” (yellow). Although devastating, the hail seemed isolated to specific swaths within the Denver area.
Cleanup after this storm is expected to take an extended period of time, which is why RestoreMasters remains committed to local property owners until all of their customers have gone through the repair process. Right now, we’re focused on damage inspections and mitigation efforts, but that will eventually transition to restoration as the days and weeks continue.
Our teams were already dispatched from our local office after a big hail storm in Denver on June 13, 2021.
According to the National Weather Service, the brunt of the hail occurred in the Colorado counties of:
- Jefferson—The most concentrated hail was reported in Westminster, which saw tons of quarter-sized hail falling for several minutes and lots of torrential rain. Arvada also experienced large chunks measuring 1” to 2” in diameter. White Ranch Open experienced hen egg-sized hailstones.
- Adams—Hail measuring an inch to 1.25” in Federal Heights. Ping-pong sized hail in Bennett. Additional quarter sized and larger hail in the sections of Westminster within the county.
- Douglas—Hailstones about an inch in diameter near Castle Rock and The Pinery.
- Broomfield—Quarter sized hail in Broomfield.
- Weld—1.5” hail near Roggen. NWS survey showed uprooted trees and other damage associated with wind gusts.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it’s important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don’t think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor