Huge Hail Drops on Aberdeen, SD Causing Roof Damage Overnight August 27-28, 2021
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Strong storms forged a path of destruction through the Aberdeen, South Dakota area around midnight on Friday, August 27th, bringing extremely large hail and high winds to the area into the early morning hours of Saturday, August 28th. To assist property owners with cleanup, RestoreMasters has dispatched teams to the local area.
Traditionally, the date is significant as it is the anniversary of two other massive storms hitting the Aberdeen community—one in 1983 that blew over a television antenna and a storm in 2013 that brought 90 MPH wind gusts.
Luckily, this one was slightly less dangerous than the ones of the past, but that does not make them any less damaging to property. The supercell thunderstorm rumbled through a path of severe hail just over 225 miles, bringing baseball-sized or larger chunks and damaging buildings, vehicles, crops, and more.
Looking at local weather maps, it appears the worst of the hail fell south of Webster, where reports of hail larger than 2.5” (purple) were reported. Other areas saw hail around 1.25” to 1.75” (orange) and 1.75” to 2.5” (dark orange).
Due to the significant size of the hail, RestoreMasters is reminding commercial business owners to take extra care while inspecting roofs and siding. With the chance for severe weather increasing over the next week, now is the time to take action to prevent further damage. In addition, they plan on keeping teams in the area throughout the next few weeks to continue to help access and repair damage.
According to the National Weather Service, hail or damaging winds were reported in the South Dakota counties of:
- Walworth — 2.5” hail chunks near Lowry that decreased to golf ball sized, leaving the ground entirely white with ice.
- Grant — Near Milbank, it hailed for five to ten minutes with chunks as large as 2.5”. Hail measuring 1.25” and 70 MPH winds in Big Stone City.
- Edmunds — Hail pieces measuring over one inch in Cravens Corner and Roscoe. Ten windows destroyed by 1.75” hail in Ipswich. 50 MPH winds and tennis ball-sized (2.5”) hail in Mina, causing multiple broken windows.
- Day — Law enforcement in Butler reported 2” hail causing broken windows and fallen tree limbs having gone through car windshields.
- Big Stone — Shingles blown off roofs near Odessa.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it's important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don't think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Roof Emergency Sealing
Shrink Wrap Roofing
Roof Tarp Solutions
Hail Damage Repair
Wind Damage Repair
Water Damage Removal
Fire Damage Restoration
Windows & Doors
Flood Damage Repair
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor