Monster Hail Storm Crushes Roofs in Western Kansas on August 7, 2021
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Dangerous storms passed through western Kansas on Saturday, August 7th, spawning damaging hail and strong wind gusts. Part of a storm system that hit Hays, KS, this storm packed a punch. In an effort to assist our customers in the area, RestoreMasters has dispatched experienced teams to help with cleanup efforts including hail damage inspections, emergency roof repairs, and other mitigation efforts.
With this storm, a combination of sustained ping pong sized hail and high winds made things extremely challenging for residents. In most cases, hail as small as an inch in diameter can cause significant damage to building materials, meaning property owners should be especially vigilant in inspecting for losses.
Looking at local hail maps, the Tribune area had the highest concentration of hailstones, with some ranging as high as 2.5” or larger (purple). Areas south of Scott City experienced chunks between 1.75” and 2.5” (dark orange). And a widespread number of communities experienced hail in the 1” to 1.25” range (yellow).
According to the National Weather Service, hail or damaging winds were reported in the Kansas Counties of:
- Greeley – Extensive hail damage near Tribune, where residents estimated slightly larger than golf ball sized chunks breaking windshields and damaging vehicles. NWS estimates hail sizes to be between 2” to 3” in diameter. In Horace, the public posted a photo of a 3.5” hail stone.
- Wallace – Dime to quarter sized hail in Sharon.
- Finney – In Friend, resident reports of lots of nickel to golf ball sized hail. Some photos of tennis ball size hail measuring 2.5”.
- Scott – Wind gusts up to 60 MPH and 2” hailstones.
- Logan – According to Logan County Emergency Management, hailstones in Oakley ranged from half inch to ping pong ball sized.
- Sheridan – In Menlo, a resident reported seeing ping pong ball sized hail falling for up to thirty minutes.
- Morton – Per Kansas Mesonet, there were wind gusts up to 67 MPH in Elkhart and 64 MPH in Morton.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it’s important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don’t think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor