Repairing Roof Hail Damage in Chicago & Northern Illinois From September 7, 2021 Storm
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Strong storms blew through Chicago and northern Illinois on Tuesday, September 7th, marking the first time in the last year where hail above 2” fell in the region. The area saw tons of tree and utility pole damage associated with the weather event, which was considered highly dangerous. To assist with the cleanup, RestoreMasters has dispatched our team of experts to the area for the foreseeable future.
According to local news reports, one cell even sparked a tornado warning in Will County with a touchdown near Minooka. Other communities saw winds in excess of 70 MPH, tennis ball sized hail, and frequent lightning. Pockets of more intense wind reached speeds of 80 MPH or greater.
Since this is the first major storm northern Illinois has seen in quite some time, RestoreMasters is encouraging all business owners to check their properties carefully for any hidden damage. Hail as small as an inch in diameter can cause significant issues in roofing materials, making it even more important to mitigate damages now before a future weather event creates bigger problems. We plan on keeping staff in the region for several weeks to see our clients through the entire repair process.
Based on data from local weather maps, the worst of the hail fell near Dixon, Amboy, and Earlville, where chunks exceeded 1.75” to 2.5” (dark orange). Other communities experienced moderate hail in the 1” to 1.25” (yellow) and 1.25” to 1.75” inch (orange) range.
According to data from the National Weather Service, the following counties saw severe hail, damaging winds, and other elements from this system:
- Kendall—Tornado reported touching down near Minooka.
- Winnebago—Trees down near Shirland. Pea sized hail.
- Boone—1.75” hail near Timberlane.
- McHenry—Chunks measuring 1.5” near Harvard and Woodstock. Quarter sized hail in Johnsburg. Trees down near Wonder Lake and 68 MPH winds in Bull Valley. More trees down in Island Lake.
- Lee—2” hail in Dixon and 1.5” chunks in Amboy and Nelson. Damage to buildings and vehicles reported in the communities of West Brooklyn and Compton. Additionally, 2” hail fell in Paw Paw.
- Lake—Branches down and 1” hail in Libertyville. Large tree downed onto the road in Highwood.
- Cook—Downed trees and wind gusts up to 58 MPH in Wheeling.
- LaSalle—Hail measuring 2” or larger in Earlville.
- Grundy—Downed power poles and trees in Seneca, Morris, and Libson. Widespread tree damage, including those that landed on structures, indicating a tornado in Minooka. Additionally, overturned tractor trailers within the county.
- Will—Downed trees and building damage near Channahon due to 85 MPH or greater winds. Damaged buildings in Elwood.
- Kankakee—60 MPH winds near Grant Park. Downed trees and powerlines throughout Kankakee County.
- Livingston—Collapsed metal outbuilding in Flannagan.
- Ford—Hospital roof and baseball field dugout destroyed in Gibson City.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it's important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don't think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor