Roof Hail Damage Repair Following Devastating September 12, 2021 Central Michigan Storm
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Strong thunderstorms affected Central Michigan on Sunday, September 12th, causing heavy flooding and reports of large hail. To help commercial business owners in the area with cleanup, RestoreMasters has dispatched emergency response teams within the region until further notice.
Looking at local storm maps, the heaviest of the hail was concentrated within the area surrounding Alma, where falling chunks of ice were recorded in the 1.75” to 2.5” range (dark orange). Other areas around Central Michigan including near Taymouth and Sumner experienced less devastating hail, but still damaging in the 1” to 1.25” size (yellow) and 1.25” to 1.75” (orange).
According to our expert team at RestoreMasters, this type of widespread hail is a concern to anyone who owns a commercial building. Hailstones as small as an inch in diameter can cause significant damage to roofing materials, guttering, and more. Thus, it is widely advised to check for potential signs of hail damage as soon as possible to prevent further issues from occurring.
Based on reports gathered by the National Weather Service, the storm produced large hail and high winds in both Wisconsin and Michigan, including the counties of:
- Oceana — Hail measuring around an inch in Hesperia.
- Gratiot — Softball sized hail dented vehicles near the town of Breckenridge. General size of stones in the county were between 2.25” and 2.5” in size. Many downed trees.
- Waukesha — Pea sized hail near Lannon.
- Washington — 1” hail in Germantown.
- Saginaw — Downed power lines and 2” hail in St. Charles.
- Genesee — High winds and hail around an inch in diameter throughout the county.
- Muskegon — One-inch hail chunks falling for several minutes.
- Newaygo — 1-inch hail near the town of Grant.
- Montcalm — Social media users reporting falling hail around an inch in diameter.
- Isabella — A mile-wide swath of high winds that downed trees and ripped roofs off from buildings.
- Lapeer — Downed power lines and trees blocking intersections throughout the entire county.
- St. Clair — Numerous trees and downed power lines, plus additional roof and building damage in the towns of Yale and Marysville.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it’s important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don’t think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, tile roof repair, water mitigation, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor