Storm With Baseball Size Hail Crushes Roofs in Des Moines, Iowa on July 9, 2021
Commercial Roofing & Restoration
Damaging storms made their way through Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, July 9th, the second time a significant storm has ravaged Iowa in recent weeks. RestoreMasters currently has teams in the area helping property owners with necessary tasks like hail damage inspections and emergency roof repairs. While there were moderate wind gusts reported, this weather event primarily caused hail damage.
With reports of egg-sized chunks of ice falling from the sky, it is easy to see why such widespread destruction occurred. The largest hail recorded during the event includes 3.25” pieces in Polk County.
Looking at the associated hail maps, it is easy to spot the swath ranging from northwest Des Moines towards Ogden. This area experienced hail over 2.5” (purple) with surrounding areas seeing 1.75” or larger (orange) hailstones.
Bear in mind that it only takes 1" diameter hailstones to damage some roofs, so several properties definitely sustained major hail damage.
Further, widespread damage to commercial buildings including roof issues, flooding, downed trees, and more is expected due to the sheer nature of the storm. While RestoreMasters has been in the area helping property owners since the last storm, we remain committed to staying until all of our customers are fully returned to where they were before the first clouds rolled in.
Overall impact on the area was fairly widespread. National Weather Service records indicate hail large enough to create severe damage in several counties, including:
- Polk – Hail measuring 3.25” in Beaverdale and baseball size in Urbandale. Reports from WHOTV of 2.75” hailstones in Johnston. Additionally, there were reports of golf ball to egg-size chunks at the NWS office in Johnstone. 60 MPH wind gusts reported near Shelby.
- Des Moines – Tennis ball-size hail measuring 2.5” in diameter near the Burlington region.
- Henry – Reports of hail ranging from dime to golf ball-size hail, plus heavy rain with zero visibility near Swedesburg, Mount Union, and New London.
- Boone – 2.75” and larger hail lasting for several minutes near Boxholm, Pilot Mound, Ogden, Berkeley, and Luther.
- Dallas – Chunks of hail in excess of 3” in diameter in the Woodward area.
- Warren – Steady bouts of hail ranging from 1” and larger in the Carlisle and Indianola areas.
In addition to roof damage from hail, strong winds can rip open some roofing systems and cause severe roof wind damage. Some older roofs can be damaged by winds as low as 50 miles per hour. The severity of roof damage depends on several factors including: type and age of roofing materials, presence of flying debris, roof shape and angle, building height and proximity to adjacent structures and the quality of original roof installation.
Following severe weather like this, it's important to get a thorough roof inspection & property damage assessment to determine whether or not you have roof damage from hail or wind. If roof leaks do occur, an experienced disaster roofing contractor can stop leaks with tarping or shrink wrapping, where affected areas (or the entire roof) is covered with a durable shrink wrapped plastic membrane till permanent repairs can take place.
Even if you don't think your roof was damaged, you will want to get your roof inspected if your property falls anywhere within the hail damage map. Some storm damage problems do not produce symptoms right away. And insurance company deadlines could hinder your ability to file a claim later.
Emergency response crews are available to assist commercial property owners with roof damage, siding and window damage and turnkey restoration services.
Our clients include: schools, hospitals, hotels, churches, resorts, retail, warehouse, industrial and other commercial properties as well as residential properties with hail or wind damage to tile roofing systems.
If your building recently sustained damage due to wind, hail, falling trees, collapsed roof or other storm-related issues, give us a call today.
RestoreMasters is a hail damage roofing and restoration contractor and provides storm damage restoration services including: commercial and industrial roofing, emergency roof repair, tarping & shrink wrap roofing, water damage restoration, debris cleanup, disaster response, interior restoration and construction services to rebuild your property.
If you need help, contact RestoreMasters.
As large loss claims experts, our team works directly with your insurance company to get your facility back on its feet. A turnkey restoration contractor, we can help you with all phases of restoration from emergency response services to total build back.
Our team of professionals includes: insurance claims experts, public adjusters, building engineers, roofing engineers, interior construction experts, large loss attorneys and other professionals specialized in storm damage insurance restoration projects.
For emergency services
Disaster Response Services
Learn More About RestoreMasters
Certified & Accredited Restoration Specialists
- $10 Million General Liability Insurance
- Bonding Capacity up to $50 Million
- OSHA Safety Trained
- Top 100 Roofing Contractor
- Inc 5000 Company
- Certified General Contractor
- Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
- Compliance Depot Certified Vendor
- EPA Lead Safe Certified Contractor
- Owens Corning Preferred Contractor
- GAF Certified Weather Stopper Roofing Contractor
- CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator
- Union Corrugating Commercial Contractor of the Year
- Berridge Certified Installer
- Verisco Authorized Flat Roof Installer
- Verea Preferred Platinum Elite Installer
- Ironstone Master Artisan
- Conklin Preferred Contractor